Michael has been researching in the field of educational technology and is well recognised within Monash for his innovative approach to ICTE. He is member of several research groups.
- Member and a Lead Researcher in COSI Research Centre, Faculty of IT Monash University
- Deputy Director (Berwick) and Member of CMCCAR Research Centre, Faculty of IT Monash University
- Member of CERG Research Group, Faculty of IT Monash University
- Associate Member of RILE Research Group, Faculty of Education University of Wollongong
- Distributed Cognition
- Activity Theory
- Mediating Artefacts
- The area of educational multimedia, especially:
- Applying distributed cognition to learning theory including embedding interaction strategies into the interfaces of learning tools.
- Using activity theory to studying the affordances of mediating artefacts (ICT) used in learning contexts